Re: Dos partition not mounted after new kernel boot

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 04:09:23PM +0200, Remo Badii wrote:
> Dear Debianers,
>
> I just compiled a new kernel in Debian 2.0 (excluding PCI, SCSI, ...,
> from the default Debian 2.0.34 kernel, and adding ISDN, APM) using
> kernel-package (thanks to Manoj Srivastava for the excellent work).
> After rebooting (both the diskette and the HD boots work), I noticed
> that my DOS partition /c is not mounted any longer, although it has an
> entry in fstab as before (fstab has not been touched).
> This must be a triviality for the experts: can you tell me how to solve
> the problem?

The DOS file system support is rather obscurely located in the newer
"make config" process.  You must select "NLS", Native Language Support,
and make a few selections to get the kernel configured for various DOS
file system access.  Don't forget to choose a character set, _e.g._,
NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437).  The help files using "make config" are
fairly clear.

--
  jkern@klis.com   Jack Kern   Yarmouth, Nova Scotia   Debian GNU/Linux