Re: Debian 2.0: pon works, diald gets PAP authentication failure

Ken Westerback <krw@tcn.net> writes:

> I have a working ppp connection, using PAP, available through pon or
> wmppp as evidenced by the console messages:
<SNIP>
> When I try to enable diald by filling out the diald.options files as
> follows:
>
> fifo /etc/diald/diald.ctl
> mode ppp
> connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
> device /dev/ttyS1
> speed 115200
> modem
> lock
> crtscts
> local 127.0.0.2
> remote 127.0.0.3
> dynamic
> defaultroute
> pppd-options asyncmap 0
> include /etc/diald/standard.filter
>
> and running diald from the command line I get a PAP authentication
> error:
<SNIP>
> Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

It appears to me that pppd may not know what username to use for PAP
authentication.  Try using:
pppd-options asyncmap 0 user YourPPPUserName

Now, one effect of this is that YourPPPUserName (but not password)
will end up in the logs.  If this is undesirable, you could create a
file called /etc/ppp/peers/dialdopts and in that file place:

asyncmap 0
user YourPPPUserName

And then in /etc/diald/diald.options just have:
pppd-options call dialdopts