Re: X-modes other than the defaults.

Mrpeabody <jeff@mindframe.com> writes:

> My X-windows automatically loads in 8dpp mode and I have a card that is
> capable of much better how do I tell x to try other modes instead.
>     -jeff

Two ways:
If you're starting X with startx, you can do:
startx -- -bpp 16
(or 15, 24, or 32)
If you're starting X with xdm, you need to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config
file to change the default bpp.  In the "Screen" section put:
   DefaultColorDepth 16
(or whatever number).  This will also affect the default bpp used with
startx.  You'll have to log out of any xsession xdm is managing; if
your xdm is at the login screen, press Ctrl-Atl-Backspace to kill the
X server; when it restarts it'll be using the new bpp.