Re: IP Firewalling/Forwarding baffles me

The missing link for me was that if you're using "standard" linux
firewalling, which is packet filtering, you _need_ ip forwarding enabled.
(The HOWTO says don't enable it, but that's for TIS proxying firewalls -
not what we're talking about here.)

Also, for ipchains at least, order counts.  You need to enable everything
that you want to let through first, and then disable _everything_ last.
The first rules in the chain get "executed" before the ones in the end.

With those two tips, and the docs, I was able to get my firewall working
the way I wanted.  Feel free to email me if that's not enough info.

(BTW, you need a 2.1 kernel for ipchains afaik.)

Later,
	Dale
--
+------------------ email me for my pgp public key --------------------+
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |