scilab demos crash whole scilab

I have installed scilab-2.4 (binaries form ftp.inria.fr)
and when I start it, it works but when I choose from menu
demos scilab crashes with the following messages:

[1] 410
$ Scilab:  warning, error event receieved:
X Error of failed request:  BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  54 (X_FreePixmap)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  1920

How can I get scilab demos  runnig properly under debian2.0 ?

Jan Krupa