Re: g++/gcc system errors

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 04:29:39PM -0500, Matt Garman wrote:

> While working on some C++ code for a programming assignment, I got the
> following error:
>
> /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x36): undefined reference to `main'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> And that is simply after typing "g++ <file>.cc"

You don't have a main() function.

> The other error is as follows:
>
> If I mistakenly type "gcc <file>.cc" :
>
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory
>
> I know the correct thing to do is to call g++ explicitly when
> compiling C++ code, but I'd like to fix the error.

What error? gcc is for C, g++ is for C++. You can use g++ with most C
programs, but not the other way round. The reason is because we use a
complex setup, where gcc is actually gcc 2.7.2.3 and g++ is egcs2.9x.yy.

This is all for your benefit. The drawback is that you can't compile C++
programs with gcc, but who wants to do so anyway?

Marcus