Re: Fw: PPP and wtmp not working together

Hi Folks,

Peter and Jens have commented on this matter already, but I have a slight
variation on the theme. I can get wtmp entries made when the user connects
and initiates PPPD, but I fail to get a corresponding entry in wtmp when the
session is complete. It is not until another user gets that ttyC* port that
the wtmp entries actually reflect that the previous user is logged out.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before. A cure would be very nice.

System - debian 2.0.30 kernel, libc5 - 5.4.33-3, libc6 - 2.0.4-1, ppp
2.2.0f-23, mgetty 1.1.7-4

Many thanks,

Gavan

Jens B. Jorgensen wrote (jjorgens@bdsinc.com) wrote:

>Well, actually it isn't pppd's job to make a utmp/wtmp entry. That job
belongs to mgetty. The 'login' option just
>tells pppd to authenticate users with passwords from /etc/passwd (or
/etc/shadow, as the case may be). There's
>a chicken-and-egg problem here because though it's mgetty's job to make the
entry, when dialin users
>authenticate with PAP/CHAP by that time mgetty is no longer running.

>I believe that using ppp-pam will alleviate this problem. The pam module
used to authenticate should also take
>care of logging the utmp/wtmp entries (though reading the documentation I
don't see anything which more than