Re: XEmacs novice customisation

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 11:28:27PM +0000, David Warnock wrote:
> There are some things I really miss and one is the ability to select
> text using the shift key combined with any cursor movement. From the
> latest FAQ where it talks about windows versions it mentions a package
> called pending-delete.

The emacs family of text editors has DOS/Windows-like cut and paste,
but they're often referred to by different names, and implemented
differently.  I don't know how you customize (x)emacs to do what you
want, but, in a nutshell, here's cut'n'paste with (x)emacs:

CTRL-Space "sets the mark."  That is, from the point where you pressed
CTRL-Space to wherever you move the cursor, that region is what you
can manipulate (as you would a region highlighted with Shift-arrows
under DOS).  And xemacs should highlight this for you, too.

CTRL-w will cut the highlighted region.  If I wanted to cut my
paragraph above, I would move the cursor to the "C" in the first
sentence, press CTRL-Space to set the mark.  Next, I'd move the cursor
to the empty line between paragraphs and press CTRL-w; the text would
be cut out.

If I pressed CTRL-y immediately after that, I would paste what I just
cut; that is, the paragraph would return.  CTRL-y is the paste
command.

If I just wanted to copy a region, but not cut it (i.e. saving it for
later pasting, maybe with source code), Then instead of using CTRL-w,
I would use META-w.  (Or press Esc, release, then press w; OR,
Alt-w).

> 	button1 + drag = select text from start to current point
>         button2 + drag = select rectangle of text from start to current
> point

Well...  I find mouse cut'n'paste with Unix easier than windows.  If I
wanted to select the quoted text above, I would use mouse button1 (my
left-most button), press it, and drag the mouse over the text I
wanted.  Upon releasing the mouse button, the region should remain
highlighted.

Now I can move the cursor to wherever I want to paste this text, and
press mouse button 2 (my middle button, of three).

I don't know if this is the default behavior -- I have the gpm package
installed, and that may be what does this for me.  (On the other hand,
I compiled xemacs 20 withOUT gpm support, and this still works...
<shrug>).

One final note, though: if you use xemacs version 20.4 on the console
(i.e. not in X), then Ctrl-Z (to suspend) will not work, and you'll
basically freeze you're terminal.  This is a bug with gpm.  I compiled
my own xemacs 20.4 to work around this.

Good luck!