Re: Kppp as normal user

> After reading the howtos, faqs, I still can't dialup to my ISP with
> Kppp as a normal user. When I am root, it works fine.
>
> I have Debian 2.0 and KDE 1.0 installed and if I use pon to dialup
> to my ISP, it works fine (root or normal user).
>
> When using Kppp as normal user, it connects to my ISP and then
> it shows: "The pppd daemon died unexpectedly".
>
> I supose it is a question of permissions, but I can't solve it. Is there
> anybody running Kppp as normal user?

I discovered what was wrong. Here is what I did:

I dialed to my ISP using minicom, then CTRL A Q (exit without
reseting the modem).
Then, when I tried to run pppd using the options: noauth -detach
debug /dev/modem 115200, I received the message Segmentation
fault.

Well, that is why kppp showed "The pppd daemon died
unexpectedly".

Solution:

The default configuration /etc/ppp/options file asks not to change
the option 'auth', but using kppp or pppd without the option 'call
provider', where provider is in /etc/ppp/peers/, is not the same.

When using pppd call provider (pon script), the option 'noauth'
(inside provider) overides the 'auth' in the options file.

But when using kppp, this causes the segmentation fault error.
When I removed 'auth' from the options file the problem ended.

Sergio Orsatti
E-mail: orsatti@uninet.com.br
Brazil