Re: Legal issues with having Linux use Windows device drivers

Geoffrey L. Brimhall writes:
> The first question is the basic licensing of the driver - I don't think
> this is an issues because I would think the license is attached with the
> hardware installed on the machine. So I wouldn't think it matters if the
> device driver is being used on Linux or Windows.

Right.  If you buy a card and it comes with a driver, you get to use that
driver wherever you use the card.  In any case, There is no reason to
expect the manuafacturer to forbid you to use the driver with Linux: why
would they want to lose a sale?

> The other issue is whether or not the device api set which the drivers
> use to communicate with the windows operating system are proprietary or
> not.

Nobody has the right to forbid anyone the use of any api, published or not.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)