Boot messages from a very difficult install

This is a long story.  I'll make it as short as I can.

I've been having a devil of a time trying to get the Hamm install
kernel to read my hd at boot.  I'm using the lowmem option to
install on a 4mb PS/2 model 35.  (By the way, this is one of the
very few PS/2's that have an AT bus, so MCA is not the problem.)
Both drives I tried are able to boot into DOS and Windows and
check out okay on diagnostic checks.

A newsgroup post suggested compiling a kernel with the old
harddisk MFM/RLL/IDE driver.  I did and wrote it to the lowmem
bootdisk.  The boot messages say a lot more now, but I'm unable to
interpret them.  Can someone on the list give them a shot?  Here
they are:

 	hd: controller still busy
 	hda: reset timed out: status=0xff { Busy DriveReady WriteFault
 		SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
 	hda: reset timed out: error=0xff { BadSector UncorrectableError
 		SectorIdNotFound DriveStatusError TrackZeroNotFound
 		AddrMarkNotFound }, CHS=65535/15/255, Sector=0

The weird thing: the CHS numbers don't match either what CMOS says
(under MSD in DOS) or what I pass to the kernel at the boot
prompt, i.e. hd=1010,12,55.  (The drive is a WD Caviar 340 MB.)

This may indicate the enhanced IDE driver is needed after all, but
that gives the 'timed-out', 'status=0xff', and 'Busy' messages in
any case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'd really like to put
this idle machine to use.

Thanks.

Curt Daugaard
cld@mcs.net