cable-modem woes (TCI/@HOME)

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my cable-modem working and I am wondering
if somebody out there knows the right way.  Here is the info:

- works in win98
- looks like a subnet of a class A network (this could be my problem)
- ip address is 24.1.106.xxx           (xxx not shown)
- netmask from provider is 255.255.240.0
- gateway is 24.1.104.1
- dns server is 24.1.64.zzz
- domain set in resolv.conf

I am really unsure about the network address I should use.
>From the HOWTO's it looks like I should use 24.1.96.0 since
the is the result of ANDing the ip address and netmask.
I tried lots of things but none seem to work.  Win98 only
asks for ip address and netmask -- I guess it figures out the
network address.  I also don't know if I should try a broadcast
address either.

I can bring eth0 up with no errors and set the routing but I
can't connect to anything.

Any ideas?  Am I doing something stupid?

thanks very much,

Stuart