Re: Debian Questions - Newbie-ish

>> Um... Okay. I guess what I'm looking for is more of a "core system" sort
> of answer. Id est, I'm wondering how I go about configuring a kernel and
> building userland. Or, is it the case that in Debian *everything* is a
> package? That's sort of an intriguing possibility.

> Is kernel configuration not done through compilation? I'm quite new
> to GNU/Linux, as far as real administration and development issues go, so
> perhaps my mental model is wrong.

install a kernel-source package, cd to /usr/src/linux, run make config
(or menuconfig, or xconfig), then make dep clean bzImage modules
modules_install, and you've got a new kernel.

THe vrious config options either step you threough the options, or give
menu access to them.  THis part is easier than figuring out the bsd
kernel configurations :)

> So, am I correct in guessing that everything's a package, including kernel
> sources and standard things like "vi" and "ls" and "ps," etc? Or, are you
> describing things from a non-developer's point of view, with a different
> model existing for developers?

yep.  All in pakcages, but source versions of the packages are also
available.

At the moment, i'm trying to figure out how to build BSD source for
utilities (particularly ftp) into .deb packages.  Someone pointed out
that i needed pmake rather than make, but i still  haven't figured out
how to set the path for includes, so it doesn't find parts of what it
needs.

rick