Re: IP Masquerading

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Tomt wrote:

> I have the  hamm distrubution and I have ip masquerading enabled in the
> kernel and the masquerading package installed.
> Do I need anything else? Like another ip assigned to my nic or what?

Yes, each network interface (PPP, Ethernet card, etc.) must have an IP
address assigned according to that network that that interface will be
connected to.  I don't know what your network topology is, but I use IP
Masquerading at home on a Debian machine to connect a couple of other
machines to the Internet through my ISP account.  The Debian machine's
connection to the 'Net is PPP using 'diald'.  It also has an Ethernet NIC
installed for the local LAN on which the other machines are connected. The
NIC network interface is assigned an IP address and netmask in the
/etc/init.d/network script (I added a couple of lines in there for it).
IP addresses for the LAN were chosen from the Class C block of addresses
reserved for use on unconnected networks (192.168.0.0/24).

This is all detailed pretty well in the IP Masquerading HOWTO.  If you are
having specific problems, a more specific question will yield an answer
more on point.