Re: Installation Help

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Cameron Taggart wrote:

 : Where can I find help on installing Debian?
 : I thought this was the list but no one has replied.
 :
 : When installing Debian I get this error part way though the instation:
 :
 : "No ... msdos ... partitions that had not already been mounted were
 : detected."
 :
 : What could cause this error?  I am wanting to install from my hardrive.

You haven't exactly overwhelmed us with information, but what the heck,
I'll give it a shot.  (And this is the list, by the way ...)

Sounds like you have at least one MSDOS partition, and you are
installing Linux onto a seperate partition.  Apparently you have some
files on the MSDOS partition that you intend to use for the install.

I'm totally unclear as to whether you've already made it through the
base install, or if you've completed that step, rebooted, and are now
staring at dselect.

I'll start by assuming that you've done the base install, and now you're
in dselect.

With that in mind, here are two guesses as to what your problem is:

1) When prompted by the installation program to mount partitions, you
created a linux partition, mounted it on /, and then mounted your
existing MSDOS partition somewhere (like /dos; I mount mine on /lose
myself).  However, you're telling dselect to use method "harddisk
Install from a hard disk partition (not yet mounted)."  Since you
already mounted the partition, dselect is confused.  You should use
mounted.

2) You're running Win95 OSR B or Win98 on your non-linux partition, and
have enabled FAT32 access, so it's not an MSDOS partition at all.  We
can't hardly blame dselect for not seeing it them - you need to mount
the partition as FAT32 (iirc this is supported in the new kernels) and
use the mounted method from dselect.

This can be cleared up pretty quick:  cat out the /etc/fstab file and
post the contents here.

If in fact you're still in the base install, there are any number of
things which could be going on.  Please post a more detailed question in
that event.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD