Re: diald and kernel problems

Hi,
>>"G" == G Crimp <ye416@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> writes:

 G> 	Sep 13 02:55:46
 G> 	   modprobe: no dependency information for module:
 G> 	   "/lib/modules/2.0.30/net/slip.o"

        You must have recompiled the same kernel version that you were
 running, and the old modules were still around. So the scsi/*.o files
 were from the older compile. Mind you, make-kpkg warns you about this
 at install time.

        From the kernel-package README file:
There is a caveat: If you already have kernel 2.0.29 installed,
and you have a freshly created custom 2.0.29 kernel, just installing
the new 2.0.29 kernel shall install modules (as it should) in
/lib/modules/2.0.29, which is where the old modules were! If you have
added or removed modules relative to the old 2.0.29 kernel (very
likely if your old kernel was the default gigantic generic kernel),
then you shall have a mish-mash of modules in /lib/modules/2.0.29 ;-(

Unfortunately, there is no reasonable solution; I suggest moving the
old modules directory before installation, like so (need to be root):

        # mv /lib/modules/2.0.29 /lib/modules/2.0.29.save
        # dpkg -i kernel-image-2.0.29_custom.1.0_i386.deb
and later get rid of the .save directory.

People who want to have multiple flavours of the same kernel version
around should look at the file /usr/doc/kernel-package/Flavours.gz for
details (Note: This involves modifying the kernel sources top level
Makefile; not recommended unless you are *sure* you need it).

        You should also look at CONFIG_MODVERSIONS option for kernel
 configuration.
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
  Usually, modules have to be recompiled whenever you switch to a new
  kernel.  Enabling this option makes it possible, and safe, to use
  the same modules even after compiling a new kernel; this requires
  the program modprobe. All the software needed for module support is
  in the modules package (check the file Documentation/Changes for
  location and latest version).  NOTE: if you say Y here but don't
  have the program genksyms (which is also contained in the above
  mentioned modules package), then the building of your kernel will
  fail.  If you are going to use modules that are generated from
  non-kernel sources, you would benefit from this option. Otherwise
  it's not that important.  So, N ought to be a safe bet.

        manoj

--
 I did some heavy research so as to be prepared for "Mommy, why is the
 sky blue?" HE asked me about black holes in space. (There's a hole