Re: KDE problems.

On 14 Sep, Person, Rod wrote:
> 	Anyone using KDE, do you have this problem, can you help......
>
> 	When I start KDE as the default window manager it takes 1/2 hour
> or more to load. Then once it does load it is take just as long to do
> anything.
> 	I added kdmdesktop to my Xsetup_0 (as the last line, not sure if
> this is correct placement or not.) I made kde primary in the
> window-manger file. Other than that I made no modifications, I am
> thinking the is a problem in the search paths, but I am clueless to
> which config file to check. Any idea?
>
> 	By the way, please reply to me directly at this address, for
> some reason
> 	I don't get the journal anymore. I think that my system admin,
> locked it out!!!
>
> 	Rod.

I'm replying to the list also, so that other people can follow along &
correct me if necessary.

I don't have this problem.  OTOH, I can't run KDE on the slowest system
I have, because it doesn't have a graphics card installed.  (Monochrome
text only!)  How fast is your system?  Which version of KDE do you
have installed?  How much RAM do you have?  Swap space?  KDE takes a
fair amount of memory, last time I checked.  I think my PPC box (PPC
604/150, 16M) goes from 11M used to 28M used when I start X & KDE, which
is bad because I have only 16M RAM, but it isn't anywhere near as slow
as what you're describing.

For starters, check /var/log/kern.log, /var/log/daemon.log and
/var/log/messages.  I'm not sure what else to check.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College