Re: Quake2

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Phillip Neumann wrote:

> Hello:

Hi :)

[snip]
> > I am hoping here you have the quake2 CD? If not, go and buy it. you need
> > pak0.pak, which is ~180 MB This contains almost all of the necessary
> > quake2 data files. A symlink to the file on the CD is fine, but it slows
>

> ??

Just explaining what the file on the CD is, and why you need it.

> > > what is this error?? How can i fix it ???
> >
> > Buy Quake2. The linux version is not the full game. It is the necessary
> > binaries, libraries and rendering engines. You need to OWN the game to
> > play it. Unless you you can afford to download the .pak files, although I
> > wouldnt know from where.
>
> Mmmmm, thats why it dont work, i dont onw a quake2-cdrom.
> This is confusing me a little: All these file that exist for linux (.deb  or/and  tgz
> or tar.gz) are `just' files to make the quake2-cd for win95 work on linux too??

Essentially that is right, but the linux version is a complete version in
itself. It only needs the Data files from the CD, (i.e. maps, textures,
videos etc..)  There is an important point you need to understand. The
.deb file is Roderick Schertler's (the maintainer) effort at creating a
debian packaged version of Quake2 3.13. The tar.gz file is id Software's
public distribution of Quake2 3.19a. Roderick simply got an earlier
version, changed where stuff was put, added a wrapper script, (the quake2
script executable, which calls the quake2.real binary executable). That is
all that the .deb file contains. It simply makes getting quake2 to work
IMHO easier.

> And what extra-file do i need ? pak0.pak ??   This
> quake2-3.19a-glibc-i386-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz  file have `pak2.pak' inside .... it
> dont work??

Thats right, pak0.pak is the main data file, it contains all of the level
textures, maps, weapon models etc... The pak2.pak in the tar.gz is a small
addon update for quake2 3.19a which has "VWep" support. (visual weapons -
you can see what your deathmatch opponents are carrying.)

I also forgot.. when you get the CD, you also need to copy the players
directory to the equivalent place on your HDD. i.e.
From: /cd_mnt_pnt/install/data/baseq2/players/
To:   /usr/lib/games/quake2/baseq2/players/

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

              My cat's eyes look kinda glassy. I think he ate it.