Re: PON on REQUEST

Jim Crumley <crumley@able.space.umn.edu> writes:

> I pretty much copied my setup from
> http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html  .
> I think Daniel Martin still reads this list.  He also
> has a link to the Dynamic IP Hacks Mini-HOWTO,
> which has more suggestions.

Oh my.  I'd hate to think I'm an authority.

I have something like this set up - I have a voice modem, and use
vgetty (in the mgetty-voice package).  I've modified some of the
scripts that came with it (but not much; they were pretty trivial
modifications) so that I can call my machine from anywhere, enter *, a
secret code, and # and my machine will dial in.  (A different code
lets me check my messages - my voice modem is my answering machine)

That's not documented on the page mentioned above, (I can send you
details, but using xringd may well be easier) but how to have a page
automatically updated is; although, there's a way that I think is
better, which I used on my girlfriend's machine since her ISP didn't
allow her shell access to set up a .forward file.  Basically, in your
/etc/ppp/ip-up script (for bo, aka Debian 1.3.x) or in some file in
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ (for hamm, aka Debian 2.0 - you'd probably be best
off putting this in a new file, something like
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/local_updatepage) put the following:

m4 -Dipaddr=$PPP_LOCAL > /tmp/newip.html <<EOD
<HTML><HEAD>New ip address ipaddr</HEAD>
<BODY><H1>New address is: ipaddr</H1>
<P>New address ipaddr obtained on syscmd(date)</P></BODY></HTML>
EOD
HOME=/root ftp my.webspace.provider <<EOD
send /tmp/newip.html public_html/newip.html
EOD

(In bo, use $4 instead of $PPP_LOCAL in the top line)
Then, in /root you need to create a .netrc file giving your username
and password for whatever machine you're putting this webpage on.
The syntax is:
machine my.webspace.provider
login myusername
password mypassword

Then, remember to set all the permissions correctly:
chmod 0600 /root/.netrc
chmod a+rx /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/local_updatepage  # or whatever
                               # Remember, use /etc/ppp/ip-up on bo.