Re: can smail change the Envelope?

Thomas Adams wrote:
> I usually write email on the Debian box here, for which I installed UUCP and
> SMail, which works fine. I can change the From: line to whatever I like and my
> provider still accepts and delivers the emails. So far, so good.
>
> But there is a Mac here which communicates with my Linux box via Ethernet and
> which I would also like to send mail from. I installed Internet Config and
> MacSOUP and started reading mail. Worked fine. Then I send some email which
> returned with an error message from my provider's MTA. It told me
> the return-path of my message was wrong.
>
> I assume what it means is the first line in an email's header which looks like:
> >From cat.ping.de!tom

Doh, I've never heard of any such difficulties.  Btw. I don't know
what should be wrong with it.  Did you already contact your provider?
I guess it's PING?  In that case it should not be a problem discussing
with the admin people there.  You should at least contact them to
confirm that the return-path in your mail is confusing their mailer.

Anyway you can fake this field if you put something like the following
in your /etc/smail/config file (man smailconf):

return_path_field="Return-Path: <tom@cat.ping.de>"

Caution: This is not tested.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Experience is a useful thing.  Unfortunately it is only acquired
just after one could have used it.