Getting startx to run

I have a new installation of Debian 2.0.  I am trying to configure x to
work properly.  First I tried xf86config and tried to create an extremely
simple config file to get it work.  It does not.

Then I tried XF86Setup and it worked so long as I bring X up from this
program but when I try to run startx to begin x I get the following error
line as far as I can see.  (I haven't figured out how to capture the
output of the startx command in full so here is the best I have.)

=======================

(**) XKB: symbols: "us(pc101)"
(**) XKB: geometry: "pc"
(**) XKB: keymap: "xfree86(us)" (overrides other XKB settings)
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Mouse: type: BusMouse, device: /dev/logibm, buttons: 3
(**) I128: Graphics device ID: "Diamond Viper 330"
(**) I128: Monitor ID: "My Monitor"
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"

 *** None of the configured devices were detected.***

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

As I said I can get XF86Setup to bring up a X screen and it says
congratulations on getting x to work but then when I save XF86Config file
and then try to run startx I get I get the above error messages.

I have a Diamond Viper V330 card which is supported in the SVGA server and
4megs of vram and all of my other hardware works.

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance,

Matthew A. Reklau
Computer Engineering, Penn State University