more installation trouble

hi,
I solved the problem with INIT, thanks to Miquel van Smoorenburg, and I
reinstalled, this time taking his advice on what partitions I should
have. In total,  I have about 2 gigs for linux, and I split it up as
follows. BTW my machine is a standalone pc. :

/        50 mb
/usr    500mb
/var    500mb
swap 64mb
/home c. 900mb

My problem this time comes after the base system has been installed and
the machine has been rebooted, and dselect is used to install the
packages chosen by me (I chose the custom option, and picked all
components for X, admin stuff, most of the developement stuff, the web
things, games....). While dselect was unpacking everthing, every so
often I would see an error message whizz by. I didn't quite see what
these messages said, but it was something about 'no room left on block
device'. This made me think that maybe some one of my partitions was too
small (/usr?) but I doubt it - they seem pretty large. Finally, dselect
stopped installing stuff. It exited with 'error status 1' and a message
to the effect that installation had been stopped because there had been
too many errors. Pressing return as prompted I was returned too the
dselect menu of options. I chose configure, but this also would not
operate becuase of too many errors.  I then quit dselect.

As I said in my last mail, I installed debian succesfully already on
this machine with the same cd (only 2 partitions last time though - one
for swap)

any help appreciated,

Brian Sheehan