PON: provider file error

I am NEW, but getting experience!

From the Debian~#  prompt I execute pon, I get the following responses depending whether I have '/dev/modem' or '/dev/modem!' in the provider file (per instructions):

    /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized D option '/dev/modem'
   /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized D option '/dev/modem!'

dselect ran ppconfig and I answered the queries correctly and see my responses in files I have observed with mc while trying to get the above working.  So from root:

    1.  How do I get the modem installed in the system working at Com 4 without the provider induced
         error?

Bob Barth

A virus can 1) trash your hard drive, 2) lock
up your computer, or 3) slow it down
Sounds like windows to me....