Re: Where to start networking my computers

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Lennox Reid wrote:

> I am trying to network three computers in my home, with my little 386
> running linux as the gateway/server/etc.  Eventually, the plan is to have
> the linux computer access the internet and give the other computers access
> so that we use only a single line.  It will also be used to allow me to
> share files and devices (printers, scanner, etc) between computers without
> having to disconnect and reconnect them.
>
> My question is, where do I start?  I purchased an inexpensive hub, and a 16
> bit ISA "plug'n'play" LinkSys Ethernet card for the 386 (I know it sucks,
> and I will probably return it for another).  Linux does not recognize it,
> and I have no idea how to begin to configure it.  Could anyone help a poor,
> ignorant, newbie?
Well you can read the NET-3-HOWTO on your system, it is a very good guide
to setting up the linux box for networking.

> Also, I installed the "base" debian system from the floppies, but have not
> installed any other packages.  What should I install to set up basic
> networking?  Eventually, I will want to install an e-mail server, a
> telnet/ftp server (I think these come with the base system), a web server,
Telnet/ftp come with the base so does smail.  You could install apache for
a web server etc...but i would first suggest installing kernel source
because you will need to recompile your kernel to support some networking
aspects, not sure what the default comes with, but you'll need ip
masquarading(?), ip forwarding, firwall and something else support at
least.