HELP: modem and server install

I installed Debian 2.0.  I AM NEW.  I don't have my modem installed some way.  It is a USR Sportster 28.8 internal thing on Com 4 (ttys3 I think). poff works fine as does plog .  pon does not work because the modem reference is missing.  The narrative follows.

From the Debian~#  prompt I execute pon and get the following response:

    /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized D option '/dev/modem'

From the Debian~#  prompt I execute fetchmail and get the fiollowing response:

    fetchmail: no mail servers have been specified.

dselect ran appconfig (Ithink it was) and I answered the queries and see my responses in files I have observed with mc while trying to get the above working.  So from root:

1.  How do I get a server for fetchmail?

2.  How do I get the modem installed in the system?

Bob Barth