Re: Install can't make boot disk

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Richard Heller wrote:

> Hi,

Hi. Can you shorten your lines please.

> I get to the point in the Debian install where it asks to make a boot
floppy.  Everything else seems to be ok, but it keeps
> giving me errors when trying to create the boot disk.  I'm not sure
what the error is and I know the floppy is good because I
> just formatted it under Win98 and can create files on it.  What would
cause the Debian install to not be able to create
> a boot floppy?

Well, these symptoms are consistent with the problem I had (and knew I
would have) on a new machine. Just check that it is a floppy drive
and not an LS120 superfloppy drive.

This assumes, of course, that you didn't use the 7-floppy method of
installation as that wouldn't have worked either. (I installed
root2_0.tgz from a zip drive.)

If you have DOS on any mountable disk, you can copy the kernel to there
from /boot, rdev it, and then copy it onto a duplicate rescue disk in DOS.

Then you need to build your own kernel with LS120 support.

OTOH if that's not the problem, sorry...

Cheers,