Toshiba installation failure

I hope someone can give me an idea what I'm doing wrong:

I inherited an old Toshiba T1850C notebook. (80386)
I used the lowmem rescue disk to start the process.
I created three partitions on the hard drive:
hda1 = 90 Meg type 83
hda2 = 20 Meg type 82
hda3 =  6 Meg type 81

Following the prompts, I succeeded in initializing the swap partition.
However, when initialing the temporary root partition, I bomb out.
I'm using a DOS formatted floppy with root.bin on it.
This is the message:

Copying root filesystem from floppy to /dev/hda3

Configuring root file ...
MINIX-fs: bad root directory '.' entry
Unable to mount the temporary root partition!

What do I need to do to get started here?