Xserver disappeared . . . sort of

I just recently set up Debian 2.0, with icewm as my default
X-windowmanager.  Everything was working fine.  Then today when I went
back over to Linux (I have a triple-boot setup {WinNT, 95, & Linux}),
and typed 'startx', the screen went blank, but nothing else happened.
Eventually the command line prompt came back with xnit reporting an
error 111.  It said it could not find the Xserver.  I checked all the
symlinks that seemed important and all the configuration files that
seemed relevant, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  I then went
ahead and reinstalled the SVGA Xserver and the xbase from Debian 2.0
distribution, but this also had no effect.  I'm not sure what else to
check or try.  Everything else seems to be working okay.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Sean