Re: Why does Debian use ncurses-1.9.9g and not 4.x

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 09:44:59PM -0500, servis@purdue.edu wrote:
> Well the subject says it all.  Why does Debian use ncurses-1.9.9g and not
> the 4.x series which has been out since Dec 96?

Part of the answer is that our ncurses maintainer has been away for several
months. I'm not sure about the rest of the answer. Ncurses is a pretty
complex piece of software to maintain.

On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 12:54:23AM -0500, Azog wrote:
> Yup! I compiled my own ncurses 4.2, and was thinking bout making a .deb
> and 'unofficially' distributing it. Maybe not.

Not please. Galen Hazelwood, the ncurses maintainer, is now coming back to
Debian work. He has already received my work towards a debianisation of 4.2,
and I'm sure he'll appreciate help. Having "unofficial" versions isn't
something I'd like to encourage.

Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,