Re: PCI problems

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 06:42:31PM -0400, Richard Heller wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have a 3COM 3c905TX network card and a Real3D StarFighter video card.  When I boot my machine, the PCI probe gives both of the cards the same IRQ number.  However, the network card is on bus 0 and the video card is on bus 1.  Are the different bus numbers because the network card is PCI and the video card is AGP?  Would this setup cause an IRQ conflict under Linux?  The network card currently appears to be complaining about an IRQ conflict.  Is there any way to force the two  cards to have a different IRQ?  I tried setting the IRQ they're usually given to be non-PCI and they still ended up with the same IRQ, just a different number.
>
> I'm one step away from trying to return the video card and get another one, but that doesn't seem to be guaranteed to solve my problems.  I got the card cheap because I bought it as part of a system and to buy another comparable card would cost me about another $100.  It uses the Intel740 chipset which is currently unsupported by XFree86, but for the same money I could buy the X servers from XiG and keep this card.  If I could only get the network card to work ...

Check in your CMOS setup. Some CMOSes have an option to assign an irq to the
video adapter. Try turning that off. I'm not sure if AGP needs an irq or not,
since I have absolutely no experience with them.

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :