Re: Using Win NT fonts in LINUX......

 "Person, Rod" <RPerson@cvty.com> wrote
   Subject: Using Win NT fonts in LINUX......

>> Can any tell me how to use NT fonts in Linux. I have a disk of fonts I
>> like that were free fonts for NT or 95, and being about the only thing
>> that I liked in NT or 95 I want to use them. If not is there so quick
>> tutorial  on porting fonts.....

 We, X-TrueType Server Project, officially release the X-TrueType
Server Version 1.0

For details, please refer to the following pages by Takuya SHIOZAKI:

  (in Japanese)
    http://hawk.ise.chuo-u.ac.jp/student/person/tshiozak/x-tt/index.html
  (in English)
    http://hawk.ise.chuo-u.ac.jp/student/person/tshiozak/x-tt/index-eng.html

  X-TrueType Server Mailing List in English

     If you want to particiate in this mailing list, please send the control
     mail which has the mail body as follow:

          subscribe x-tt-english

     majordomo@ns.opus.or.jp
     Then, you'll receive the verification mail from Majordomo service agent.
     So, please comply with this mail.

 And, I am also a member of Debian-JP project. I have already debianized
X servers and xfs packages with X-TT patch for slink:

xfree86_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1.diff.gz
xfree86_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1.dsc
xfree86_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.changes
xfs-tt_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xnest_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xprt_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-8514_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-agx_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-i128_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-mach32_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-mach64_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-mach8_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-mono_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-p9000_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-s3_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-s3v_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-svga_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-vga16_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xserver-w32_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb
xvfb_3.3.2.3a-1.xtt.1_i386.deb

 These can get from following URLs:

 ftp://ftp.debian.or.jp/pub/Linux/debian-jp/project-jp/experimental

 I'd like to marge X-TT patch to xfree86 package of slink.
 Please test them :-)

********** X-TT ver v1.0 release note **********

This is an announcement for
    X-TrueType Server Version 1.0 [Aoi MATSUBARA Release 0],
which is released now!!

Since February 1998, we X-TrueType Server Project has been providing the
X-TrueType Server (X-TT in short) Ver0.x [Series "MULTI"] as a beta
release.  We have just finished implementation of necessary facilities,
and current X-TT is stable enough for practical use.  Now we settled
that we shift the development phase of X-TT into Ver1.x [Series "Aoi
MATSUBARA"] as official release.

We officially release the X-TrueType Server Version 1.0 [Aoi MATSUBARA
Release 0], on August 30th, 1998 (GMT).

For details, please refer to the following pages by Takuya SHIOZAKI:

  (in Japanese)
    http://hawk.ise.chuo-u.ac.jp/student/person/tshiozak/x-tt/index.html
  (in English)
    http://hawk.ise.chuo-u.ac.jp/student/person/tshiozak/x-tt/index-eng.html

These pages are the primary sources of the current X-TT distribution.
Takuya SHIOZAKI is the supervisor of the current X-TT.

===What is X-TrueType Server?===

X-TrueType Server is an X server and/or an X font server that can handle
TrueType fonts directly.  With X-TT, you can use TrueType fonts on the X
Window environments without modifying existing applications, and in the
same feel as using BDF fonts or PCF fonts.  Thanks to widely spreading
Windows, we can get a large variety of TrueType fonts at no or
relatively low cost.  X-TT supports various font transformations, such
as slanting or magnifying.  This makes X-TT very useful for X users
especially in far-east Asia, including Japan.  These users have been
suffering a bitter experience that only a few fonts were available.

X-TT requires FreeType, which is a free TrueType font rendering library.
There are another similar project named "xfsft" by Mr. Mark Leisher and
Juliusz Chroboczek.  X-TT and xfsft are developed independently of each
other for historical reasons.  The advantages of X-TT over xfsft are as
follows:

  - Support for wider character sets:
     * For Western languages
        ASCII
        Any ISO8859 (part 1-10, and 15)
        Any KOI8
     * For Chinese
        Big5ETen
        GB2312
     * For Korean
        KSC5601-0
        KSC5601-1 (EUC encoding)
        KSC5601Wansung
        KSC5601Johab
     * For Japanese
        JISX0201 (ANK)
        JISX0208 (JIS Level 1 and Level 2 Kanji)
        JISX0212 (JIS Auxiliary Kanji)
     * For Unified Character Set
        Unicode (X clients can use it)

  - Charset conversion codes are dynamic loadable modules.  This enables
    users to use required encodings on demand, and there are no worry
    that the needless encodings waste the memory.  Additionally, you can
    add new code converters easily.

  - With the TTCap description, which is an extension for fonts.dir,
    you can use the following features:
      * slanting for non-slanted fonts,
      * pseudo-bolding for non-bold fonts,
      * adjusting font metrics,
      * and selecting the face in TrueType Collection files.

  - X-TT provides both the strict-method and the lazy-method to
    calculate font metrics.  The strict-method is essential to use
    than useful, especially for the fonts containing large number of
    glyphs.  This is caused by a structural defect in the X Window
    System itself.  Xfsft seems to provide only the strict-method to
    calculate font metrics.

  - Server library "libfont" can be built as a shared library.  Thus,
    you will be able to update X-TT to future versions, without
    recompiling your X server, X font server, and applications.

  - The know-hows to handle 16bit encoded fonts have been developed in
    the X-TT Project.  These are available only with X-TT :-).

We are preparing binary packages (or ports) for the following platforms:

  * FreeBSD
  * NetBSD for x86
  * OpenBSD for x86
  * Slackware Linux