Re: Database Client

In article <[🔎] 35F3E690.89D5B420@infotech.acu.edu>,
Kent West <kent.west@infotech.acu.edu> wrote:
>Hi All.
> I'd DEARLY love to get Linux established on my university campus, but
>one of the stumbling blocks is that one of our major apps is based on an
>SQLServer 6.5 database running on an NT Server. The clients are all
>Win95/98/NT based. Is there anyway for me to connect to the SQLServer
>data using a Linux client?

I think so, there is undoubtedly a Perl DBD driver for it so you
can use DBI and DBD to talk to the database. That is supposing you
want to use perl for the job, but there is also a command line sql
client written in perl that comes with DBI.

Hmm... I checked, there is not really something for M$ databases,
but they supposedly use the same protocol as Sybase, so the Sybase
stuff _might_ work with a M$ SQL server.

See also the FreeTDS project at http://tbwa.volcano.org/freetds/

> I at first thought postgresql might do it, but after installing it I
>can't even figure out how to get it to run (I can't even find the pgsql
>that a Postgresql tutorial mentions).

Postgres _is_ a database. You don't want to install a database,
you just want a way to connect to the remote database right?

Mike.
--
  "Seed me, Seymour"
  -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space