Re: upgrade queries

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> I'm currently running Debian 1.3. I have the 2.0 binary CD and also
> the CD_autoup.sh script written by Craig Sanders. I'm hesitating about
> the upgrade though and I was wondering if someone could take the time
> to answer two questions:
>
>   1. What improvement in performance (or kinds of improvement) should
>      I expect to notice?

>   2. I have in /usr/local a number of non-debian programs that I use a
>      lot and that I'm very attached to (xv, rv_player). What are the
>      chances that they would be broken because of the library upgrade?

I have upgraded about two weeks ago and I lost a lot of time trying to
figure out new configurations and recompiling older /usr/local programs -
some of them unsuccesfully so far.  My system does not seem to be as
stable as it was under 1.3.1.  I had an unusually large amount of
segmentation faults by otherwise reliable programs and even had to use my
reset button a day or two ago.

There is no improved performance that I can observe.  However there are a
lot  variety in what is available to choose from as far as programs are
concerned.

Some of the programs that I used to run form /usr/local is now available
as up-to-date debian packages - like python 1.5.1 and postgresql 6.3.2.

Xv is not on the non-free disk and you would have to download it from the
non-free directories I suspect.

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock; if any man
      hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to
      him, and will sup with him, and he with me."
                                   Revelation 3:20