Re: Cannot boot from hard drive

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Lennox Reid wrote:

 : I am a first time user of Linux, and decided it would  be nice to use the
 : OS to try to save my old 386/33 (to some extent).  I downloaded the system
 : from the web, made the installation floppies, and seemed to have gotten
 : Linux installed okay.  However, when I tried to boot from the hard drive,
 : it came up with a prompt:  "1FA: ".  Nothing is echoed to the screen from
 : the keyboard, but if I hit ENTER, it comes up with another 1FA: prompt.
 :
 : It boots fine from the BOOT floppy I made, and sees the info on the hard
 : drive.  Thinking it was a problem with the HD, I reinstalled DOS and it
 : booted fine.  Has anyone else run into this or heard of it?  How can I fix
 : it?  It takes a LONG time to boot off of the floppy, and I'd rather not
 : have the hassle.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf, and comment out the `compact' line.  You may also
have to add the `linear' option.  Run lilo and reboot - that works with
most 386s and 486s I've setup.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD