Cannot boot from hard drive

I am a first time user of Linux, and decided it would  be nice to use the
OS to try to save my old 386/33 (to some extent).  I downloaded the system
from the web, made the installation floppies, and seemed to have gotten
Linux installed okay.  However, when I tried to boot from the hard drive,
it came up with a prompt:  "1FA: ".  Nothing is echoed to the screen from
the keyboard, but if I hit ENTER, it comes up with another 1FA: prompt.

It boots fine from the BOOT floppy I made, and sees the info on the hard
drive.  Thinking it was a problem with the HD, I reinstalled DOS and it
booted fine.  Has anyone else run into this or heard of it?  How can I fix
it?  It takes a LONG time to boot off of the floppy, and I'd rather not
have the hassle.

Thanks for your help!

-lennox