Re: Debian Netscape Installer and glibc2 Communicator 4.06

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Jianbo Zhang wrote:
> >
> > Hi Debians,
> >
> > When I run dpkg -i netscape4_4.0.12.deb, I got some error message: it
> > says that some libc5 and motif  related files could not be found.  So I
> > installed Communicator 4.06 in my fresh Debian (2.0) Linux box with
> > nsinstall. So far I did not find any problem, but I still do not know
> > why Debian netscape installer does not work for me. Help is highly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Jianbo
> >

> 	The v4 installer assumes it is installing the libc5 version of NS, thus
> it has dependancies on the libc5 package.  We now have libc6 versions of
> NS, but there hasn't yet been an update to these Deb installers.  So you
> did what you had to do (install NS without the Deb installer).  I did
> the same thing.

The worst thing about this seems to me, that the filenames for
communinctor-4.5-libc5 and communinctor-4.5-libc6 are the same. The
installer script couldn't tell the difference from the filename like it
does now.

And for the libc6 communicator there has to come a new installer packages
anyway, since it depends on other libraries than the libc5 communicator
depends on.

Remco