Re: ppp connection with Demon

Perhaps I can help you a bit:

1) PPP HOWTO and /usr/doc/ppp/* help a lot.

2) You might did it already, but one thing to do when trying to test the
connection is to log in as root. This way you can eliminate problems that can
rise because of unsatisfactory permitions untill after you know you can
establish the connection.

> I have never used linux before, so I'm groping around a bit.
>
> I am trying to connect to Demon Internet using a chatscript. The server =
> is able to use either PAP or text-based login, but I got furthest with =
> text-based. I set ppp up with pppconfig and I have checked the =
> /etc/ppp/peers/Demon it created and the chatscript it refers to.
> I have a static IP address but when pon gets to the IP entry in =
> peers/Demon it says "<my IP address> command not recognised" or =
> something like that.
> I have tried making the connection with minicom, which happens really =
> slowly (I don't know how fast it should go). I got the connection speed =
> back (56K) and the server's address then:
> login:
> password:
> protocol: (I entered "ppp")
> host: (my username) IP: (my IP, which is static)
> ppp begun at (something) mail maintenance completed. routing problems =
> with (something or other) fixed. finger (an address) for info. L"
> and it stops there. If ppp was being set up, I would have seen some =
> garbage wouldn't I?
> Since it tells me my address anyway, I removed the IP address from =
> peers/Demon and tried pon again. This time it got through the login =
> sequence, including the protocol bit, then (plog) said serial connection =
> established. ifconfig only showed loopback. After a while plog said that =
> "LCP timeout sending config requests". At no point could I use anything =
> that needed a ppp connection.

3) It seems to me that you can't establish a ppp connection because
/etc/ppp/options or /etc/ppp/peers/Demon does not contain the correct
switches. Perhaps you can try to read pppd man page and /etc/options to learn
what flags are needed for your connection.

> I'm confused and I'd be very grateful for any help.

4) Try to enable debugging info and learn from that what is wrong. Maybe
debugging info + trying different pppd switches can help you solve your
problem.

5) Sending debugging info to the list can help others to isolate the problem.