Re: ppp connection with Demon

Thanks very much to Roland Hinkley for sending me his chatscript, but still no luck I'm afraid. When I use minicom, the message I get back says 57600, so I suppose I should have a nice fast connection but I don't. It takes about 20 seconds after the login prompt before the password prompt comes up. After the information has been given, I have to wait until I receive 'HELLO', which comes after a welcome message. The modem hangs up before the welcome message is complete, so maybe it is just taking too long.
Does this mean I have to enter the alien world of modem initialisation strings? The ones I have tried are ATZ and AT&F, from Roland's chatscript. I have spoken to the Demon helpdesk, and everything seems to be in place as far as their login is concerned.
Incidentally it's not just receiving and sending data that is slow. There is also a 20-30 second delay between sending the modem initialisation (and phone number for that matter) strings and getting any response. Could it be something to do with the serial interface itself. I am now about 100 miles from anything I know anything about, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than windows.
Tom Bowles