Re: running root X programs

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Andrew wrote:

> I know this has been addressed before, I've tried searching the archives
> for it, but without success.
>
> How do you run an X program as root whilst still in a user X session?

Many ways...

1) su in an xterm.. no worries.

2) As root on a VC:
   # xauth -f /home/[user]/.Xauthority extract - :0 | xauth merge -
   # export DISPLAY=:0
   # [prog] &
   ... no worries.

3) the list goes on.. thats all I can think of at the mo. Anyone else?

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                   It works fine except when I am in Windows.