Problem running Debian 2.0 on an AT&T Globalyst S10 server

Hello,

Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but I am not sure to what
extent it can be Debian 2.0-related...

I have managed to install Debian 2.0 on an older AT&T Globalyst S10
server, which ran NetWare 3.12 for a couple of years.
The first strange thing was that I had to use the tecra resce disk,
because the standard one failed to terminate the boot process.
Then, after I got the system up and running, I compiled a custom
2.0.34 kernel with support for the built-in Adaptec 7870 (BIOS v.1.11,
dated 1994), and that's when I started observing the following two
problems:
- Random reboots at boot time (just after the "Loading Linux.....").
  That didn't happen with the kernel used for the installation.
- The internal Wang DAT Model 3200 tape is never recognized by Linux,
  even if it shows up in the initial devices list shown by the
  Adaptec BIOS.
The system currently has 4 SCSI devices in it:
- one 1GB Conner HDD (ID #0)
- one Quantum Fireball SE 4.6GB (ID #1)
- a TEAC CD-ROM drive (ID #2)
- a Wang 3200 DAT tape drive (ID #3)
The Adaptec controller is at ID #6. The SCSI chain is terminated at the
CD-ROM drive.

I have browsed DejaNews looking for "definitive" answers, but without
much success... Am I definitely out of luck with this particular
setting? Could the Adaptec BIOS be too old? What else could I try?

Thanks for any help!

Cleto