Re: Kernel compile fails on Cyrix...

Jeremy Tregunna <intrigue@golden.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> >     I just installed hamm on a cyrix 686 system from scratch and
> > I have 2 problems:
> >
> > 1. X11 crashes about once in a hour for no apparent reason.
>
> Cyrix has a big problem, what you could try and do is underclock your CPU
> from say 233 for example, to 200, if you still get this problem, it's
> because Cyrix makes really shitty CPU's and such, and are not really
> reliable.

Hmm, that's funny. Mine works just fine. And it's reliable.

> > 2. The kernel compile fails during the make menuconfig or make
> > xconfig. At the first invocation of gcc the compiler dies
> > saying "internal error - cc1 killed by signnal 11".
>
> A sig11 error from gcc usually indicates hardware fault... and since
> cyrix's are crappy machines (in my opinion and known as a fact) this would
> be your problem. I would suggest (if you can) dropping the cyrix and
> picking up a pentium, or a k6.

Or maybe new ram.

> > I never installed Debian on a Cyrix, is this a known cyrix problem?
> > If not what can be the cause?

I've compiled the kernel many times with my 200 and 233. I have not had a
problem with Cyrix yet. But that's not going to stop me from getting an
AMD for some floating point improvements.

At work I have a pentium 133 machine. It would give me sig 11 all the time
until I tried out some different ram. Works fine now. Hth.

--
-- Mike Brownlow <mike@ctelcom.net> -- http://ctelcom.net/mike/ --
      "The Roaring 90's ... have you ever been depressed?"