Re: GTK-- development

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998 martine@hackery.concentric.net wrote:

> I have been looking at gnome, and programming in GTK.
> I would like to try GTK--, but the GTK-- devel package is dependant on
> the gtk1.0 devel package, which conflicts with the gtk1.1 devel package,
> which gnome wants.  If that makes any sense :)
>
> The gtk-- web page says that it works with gtk1.1.
>
> What is the proper way to deal with this?

Gtk-- works with gtk 1.1 if it's compiled that way, but the Debian package
apparently isn't.

You can maybe install the Debian Gtk 1.1 package and then compile Gtk--
yourself. Compiling yourself is handy with Gtk and friends anyway, because
the docs often need to be supplemented by the source code.

However, I doubt the Gtk-- 1.1 support will just happen to be in sync with
the particular 1.1 Debian has packaged. Remember that 1.1 is the
ever-changing-interface development branch.

So if you want to go the compilation route I'd suggest you purge all the
Gtk 1.1 packages (and 1.0 -dev packages) and start from scratch with glib
out of Gnome CVS. See www.gnome.org. You want the glib, gtk+, gtk--
modules.

> (my email address is actually txs@concentric.net)

So put it on your mail! :-)