Re: Compose key not working

On: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:56:12 +0200 (SAST) Johann Spies writes:

> I am sorry to bother the list about this.  My compose key is not
> working after upgrading to Debian 2.0.  I do not know how to define
> it.  All the documentation I have read simply supposes there is a
> compose key and that Linux's default is Control-period.
>
> I had no problems using it under Debian 1.3.1 but now ...
>
> Under X I managed to restore compose by running xkeycaps every time
> I start up X.  But I do a lot of work on a normal tty.
>
> How do I define a compose key?

Look into your /etc/kbd/default.map.gz file.  I have the following
line:

	keycode 127 = Compose

which puts the Compose function on the right popup key of a win95
keyboard.  At the end of the file there are some compose definitions
too.

BTW: For Ctrl-. the entry probably similiar like this:

keycode  52 = period           colon
        alt       keycode  52 = Meta_period
	control   keycode  52 = Compose
        shift alt keycode  52 = Meta_colon

The first line in my file is

	keymaps 0-2,4-6,8,9,10,12

I changed it to get key combinations like Meta-Shift-: (colon is shift
period on a german keyboard) to work in Emacs.

	Torsten