Geometry and keyboard problems in X

My problem with this continue to bother me.  Every time I start X I have
to ajust my emacs and lyx frames because the font and geometry settings in
the abovementioned files are ignored.  I also have to run xkeycaps to
restore the default xmodmap to get compose working in X.

The contents of my .xinitrc is
xterm -geometry 101x33+0+1 -ls &
xterm -geometry 101x33+0+2 -ls -e lynx &
xmodmap ~/.xmodmap-`uname -u` &
pgaccess &
fvwm2
------------------------------------
And my .Xresources:
------------------------------------
! /etc/X11/Xresources
!
! This is the global Xresources file.  It is used by both xdm and xinit.

!
! Fix Motif client handling of backspace/delete
!

*XmTextField.translations: #override\n\
      <Key>osfDelete: delete-next-character()
XTerm*utmpInhibit: false
emacs.font: 7x14
emacs.geometry: 85x30+0+0
xpdf.geometry:80x32+0+0
pine.geometry: 101x32+0+0
xterm.geometry: 101x32+0+0
lynx.geometry:101x32+0+0

Nothing of what is supposed to work according to .Xresources actually
works.

The contents of my /etx/X11/config:

-----------------------------
# This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
# For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
# /usr/doc/X11/README.Debian

run-xconsole
obey-nologin
allow-user-resources
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-xsession
allow-failsafe
#start-xdm
#xdm-start-server

no-xdm-start-server
no-start-xdm

-------------------------

I have asked about this before but could not solve the problem.  I had a
system working without problems on 1.3.1.  Thirteen days after upgrading
to Debian 2.0 my system is still experiencing problems like this -
hampering my productivity.

I would really appreciate a solution.

Johann
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that
      increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."
                                   Ecclesiastes 1:18