From: Kendall P. Bullen [mailto:kendall@lists.tax.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 1998 9:26 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Best Debian-supported NICs? Also, firewalling help?

Hiya,

I'm setting up a machine to act as a firewall or router or something
(not sure what the exact term is -- basically, to allow only certain
Internet IPs to get to a machine that will be behind this
firewall-or-whatever).  As such, I was planning on two NICs and having
a Debian system that does one thing -- pass along packets that should
reach the machine-behind-the-iron-curtain, and not allow any others.

My question for now is this: What're the best NICs supported by
Debian?  I can reprint the list here if people don't want to check,
but are familiar with the NICs when named, if need be.  I'm most
familiar with 3com cards, and we use a few Intels as well.  But I
figure for this application, the speed and efficiency of the NIC is
paramount, so I want the best that Debian supports, not just random
cards that I'm familiar with or have used before.

Side Note: If anyone has suggestions on how to implement what I want
to implement, please let me know.  :-) I have a feeling that it has to
do with being a firewall and IP forwarding -- have just started
looking at documentation, but any tips or suggestions would be
appreciated, as the documentation tends to be arcane, it seems.

Thanks in advance for NIC (or firewall/IP forwarding) advice!
Kendall :-)