Re: pcmcia driver problem

Giuseppe Sacco <gsacco@hsomail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I have succesfully installed a Debian2.0 from a CD on a laptop Toshiba
> Satellite 310CDS. Then I upgraded the pcmcia*.deb file the the 4th version
> (from slink) and installed the package.
> Now I have a problem related to pcmcia ethernet adaptor. The error I get
> is:
>
> hsogso:/etc/init.d# ifconfig eth0 10.1.10.240 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast
> 10.1.255.255
> SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
> eth0: unknown interface.
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Operation not supported by device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Operation not supported by device
> eth0: unknown interface.
> hsogso:/etc/init.d#
>
> What can I do? Do I have to add some data to my question?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Giuseppe

Hi.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use the pcmcia-cs package,
you _have_ to use the binary kernel image it corresponds with too.  So, if
you upgrade pcmcia-cs, you'll need to get the kernel image that goes with
it.  If I _am_ wrong, sorry - that's been my experience.

What I normally do is just install the pcmcia-source package, and compile
it with the settings from the custom kernel that I have installed.

Later,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |