Java on Linux

*-Vincent Murphy <murphyv@wisdom.ucc.ie>

| At the start of my next term in CompSci, Java is being introduced as the
| main language in most of my courses.

Unless the description of the .deb package says that the version is 1.1.5v7
(last
I saw it said "v5"), you don't want it.  v7 contains significant fixes to make
things run much more robustly.  I would definitely use the blackdown.org site;
all you have to do is download and untar one file, and put the bin
directory into
your PATH -- you should be able to handle at least that much being a CS
major :-)

Steve