Re: Getting Debian 2.0 to boot on ThinkPad 600

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> Appears it does not try to mount /dev/ram0 as root device as it should.
>
> Did you really run rdev.sh right?
> (Make sure the floppy is writeable)
>
>   mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
>   sh /mnt/rdev.sh
>   umount /mnt

Thanks very much. This must have been it. I am sure the floppy was
writable, since I wrote the new kernel on to it, and rdev.sh appeared to
work fine.

I actually did get it working about an hour ago. Instead of running
rdev.sh on the diskette, I simply ran

	/usr/sbin/rdev linux /dev/ram0

while linux (the new kernel, a zImage, not a bZimage) was on my hard
disk. (I had checked that all the other things rdev did were already
correct). I then transferred linux to the floppy, and the first Debian
install screen came up as it should. So my colleague should be all set to
replace Red Hat 5.0 with Debian 2.0.

James G. MacKinnon                       Department of Economics
    phone: 613 545-2293                  Queen's University
      Fax: 613 545-2257                  Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Email: jgm@qed.econ.queensu.ca       K7L 3N6