Re: locking kernel, bzImage and zImage same size?

On Sat, Aug 29, 1998 at 01:57:23PM -0700, jesse@spine.com wrote:
> I've installed hamm on a thinkpad 560e, and the kernel from the tecra boot
> disk works, but I can't build my own kernel (reboots after 'loading
> linux...')
>
> I understand that this is a known problem, and that thinkpads, tecras, and
> some other laptops can't boot from a bzImage.
There is a kernel patch however that lets me boot my tecra from a bzImage
It's small enough to include it for your convienience

> The kernel I get from 'make zImage' fails in the same way.
Then it must be a different problem.

> However, 'make bzImage' gives me a kernel that is only ONE byte smaller
> (340654 vs 340655).
bzImage's are not better compressed. They use a technique to load the
kernel image to high memory, expanding the dreaded 640k barrier. They should
otherwise be of the same size.

Try to only include as few things as possible for your own kernel. Make as
much as modules as you can and load them by including them in /etc/modules.
This is no performance nor memory penalty of statically loaded modules over
directly compiled in drivers.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *