Re: INN, Cleanfeed and Debian Hamm

On 1 Sep 1998, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

 : In article <[🔎] 85soib3g5q.fsf@titine.fr.eu.org>,
 : Eric Jacoboni <jaco@DIAL.OLEANE.COM> wrote:
 : >I've noticed that the inn server shiped does not contains perl filter
 : >capabilities and that there is no cleanfeed files. What can i do to
 : >have a Inn server with Perl filtering enable ? I'd like to have a pure
 : >deb system so i'd prefer use a deb package. Is there such a thing ?
 : >source or i386 binaries.
 :
 : Well actually I am waiting with a new release for inn 2.2 or so ..

Great!  I'm glad to hear this.  2.0 was frighteningly buggy, and I
haven't been bold enough to try 2.1

 : I don't want package 2.1 yet, because it still has bugs
 : and is not too fast (the overview implementation is a lot slower).
 : I've only tested the storage-enabled version sofar, I'm going to
 : run the normal version on one news server tomorrow. We'll see how that
 : goes.

You're speaking of CNFS here, right?

 : Then I have to find out a migration path from 1.7.2 to 2.x, unfortunately
 : some configuration files have changed format and worse the history
 : file format is different too (dbz 6 instead of dbz 3). And the inn-dev
 : stuff (libs) have changed a lot too ..
 :
 : Also I have to ask the perl maintainer to package the perl shared
 : library seperate, so that a perl upgrade won't hose your INN system
 : unexpectedly (and force me to release INN in sync with perl).

Is this also the case if I recompile INN 1.7.2 and enable perl support?

I'm interested in recompiling 1.7.2 for a few reasons, namely cleanfeed
and the insync patches.  How you managed to do such an excellent job
packaging INN in the forst place is beyond me - it's a complete cluster
from what I can see.

I'm not a developer and I don't have a good handle on the contents of
the ./debian directory, so it's pretty unclear to me how I will be able
to recompile this and end up with a deb (I'm pretty sure that won't
happen the way I have it now).  My main concern is actived (from the
insync patches) - I need to tell dpkg about that somewhere and add
install rules, right?

Having just read that last paragraph, I sound like an idiot :)  I guess
it's time to knuckel down and RTFM, perhaps install a helper package ...

If anyone else gets bold and beats me to an INN-1.7.2.insync package,
let me know :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD